In-depth knowledge of the theory is very important for practical training and exam to become a RYA Yachtmaster Ocean. We have the ideal solution for you here: The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean eLearning Theory course from Navathome provides the advantage of studying the necessary theoretical knowledge independent of time and location. The exam also takes place online. All you need is a computer, a modern browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome or similar) and an internet connection.
If you want to complete your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean with an oral exam and / or use it commercially, then you have to pass the written exam invigilated by a recognized RYA instructor or you can can opt to take an extra paper during the oral exam. Please contact us for further information.
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory course is ideal for skippers who want to acquire the know-how for ocean sailing.
Important To Know
- This eLearning course is run by the RYA Training Center Navathome, a company specializing in online training.
The Swiss Maritime Academy acts as an intermediary and your details will be forwarded to Navathome for further booking formalities.
- Your access to the eLearning course will be activated for six months. If you need more time for the course, you can extend it for a further six months for a small additional fee.
- By making a booking, you confirm that you agree to Navathome’s terms and conditions and GDPR policy to be read here: Terms and Conditions / GDPR policy.
- Your tutor from Navathome is an experienced RYA instructor and of course you can contact us at any time, too.
- A sextant is NOT required for the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory eLearning course.
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory level, Swiss Hochseeausweis or German SSS. The requirements for the practical exam can be found HERE.
- Good English skills are essential for all RYA training and later at sea!
The earth and the celestial sphere
Practical guide to use and care of sextant at sea
Meridian altitudes; Sun, star and other sights
Ocean passage planning
The course takes approximately 40 hours to complete with an assessment of 2 parts taken in one sitting of 2 hours.
Course Material Included
Plotting sheets to print off
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean course notes
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean exercises
Printable forms for sight reduction
Instructor support seven days a week
Automated instant feedback
Six months’ initial access, extendable
Two years’ access to lessons on completion
Animated diagrams and lessons
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean assessment
RYA Yachtmaster certification on successful completion
Including course materials, exams and extra shipping charge for mainland Europe. Additional customs fees may apply.