Expand your skills as a responsible skipper
Our 1-day first aid course lets you sail with the certainty of staying cool and responsive in medical emergencies. Our RYA First Aid at Sea training is well established worldwide and focuses on the treatment of medical problems at sea.
This RYA / MCA approved 1st Aid certificate is recognized by the Swiss Maritime Navigation Office for the issuance of the “Hochseeschein” according to Article 4 (1) of the Hochseeausweis-Verordnung (SR 747.321.71).
RYA First Aid – Course Content
The following contents are taught and tested
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) according to the exact guidelines outlined in 2010 in collaboration with the British Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance Charity and St. Andrew’s First Aid Charity
- Cold shock and hypothermia after falling into the water
- Drowning and near-drowning, how do we treat such victims?
- Head injuries, recognize and treat properly
- Medical shock. What is it, how do we recognize and treat one
- How do we get medical help via radio
- Helicopter evacuation from a ship or liferaft at sea
- Explanation and application of Category C Medical Stores (Category C Medicines)
Self-study of the course materials: 4 – 5h
Course duration: 9 – 18h, one hour lunch break
At least 4, max. 12 participants per course
Each participant will receive a copy of the RYA First Aid Manual, which is ideal for on-board use.
The course requires preparation for the self-study of course materials, time required about 4 -5h
Good English skills are prerequisites for successfully completing the course. This applies to all RYA training and communication at sea worldwide.
Hochseeschein / B-Schein
The RYA First Aid certificate is recognized in accordance with Article 4 (1) of the Hochseeausweis-Verordnung (SR 747.321.71).
including course material, RYA certification and a RYA First Aid Manual